Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Some Random Thoughts II

Some more random thoughts:

1. Well, it was bound to happen. I found myself in the obviously wrong part of town while exploring just north of the Duomo. No, not what you’re thinking, in fact, even worse. Yes, in one day I saw the following: McDonald’s, the Disney Store, and Foot Locker. Words cannot explain my disillusionment!

2. If you’re craving a nice Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Indian, or even American meal, you may be out of luck. Ethnic restaurants are few and far between in Florence. After many days of walking in all parts of the city, I’ve seen one Mexican restaurant and one small sushi place. There’s also a tiny walk-in counter that serves Greek food across from my apartment, but that’s all I’ve seen that doesn’t serve up Italian fare. Quite frankly, it’s fine with me. When in Rome (er, Florence)…

3. It’s not just the Bay Area; antiwar sentiments can be found scattered about Florence as well.

4. If you order a latte, you’ll get a glass of milk. And never order a cappuccino after 12 noon; in Italy this is considered an extremely strange thing to do. If you want a coffee in the afternoon or evening, order an espresso or a macchiato (a tiny cup of espresso with a dollop of frothed milk, not anything like a Starbucks macchiato!) instead.

5. If you order a steak at a restaurant in Florence, you will never be asked how you want it cooked. But don’t worry – it will come out perfect every time!

6. You never know when you’re going to come upon music in Florence. I’ve told you about the traveling band that played its heart out in my neighborhood the other night. Very similarly, last Thursday night, as Janet, Lanny, Jane, and I were walking home after the faculty meeting, we came up on a duo in the Piazza della Repubblica – he was playing an accordion and she was singing the most beautiful Italian songs, in an astonishing, resonant voice. We could have stood there all night listening, but we eventually had to move on. Lanny and Janet went in one direction toward their apartment, and Janet and I continued toward the Piazza della Signoria, where we came upon one young man on an acoustic guitar, whose talent was so remarkable that a huge crowd had gathered around him. I don’t know what it is about Florence, but it stirs the musician and the music enthusiast in all of us.

7. On Saturday afternoon I bought a gelato cone and strolled with it through the streets of Florence, ala Audrey Hepburn. I know, I know, she was in Rome, but I felt happy and carefree just the same!

No comments: