Saturday, March 10, 2007

Swiss Time -- P.S.

I must say a few more things about Switzerland. Is it perfect there? Of course not. Here are just a few things I should mention:

1. Switzerland, as clean as it seems with its white snow, crisp air, and crystal clear rivers and lakes, surprising has no antismoking laws. Smoking is allowed in all restaurants and bars, albeit there are “smoking” and “nonsmoking” sections in most of them, but not all. This was definitely not to my liking!

2. I must admit that the Swiss are much more reserved and not nearly as friendly as the Italians. This may sound like a stereotype, but that’s just how it seemed.

3. The first day I was in Interlaken, I had to wait about 45 minutes for the Schue chocolate factory tour. Right across the street was the Victoria Grand Hotel, a beautiful old building. I decided to go over and have a coffee and Bailey's while waiting since the sun was going down and it was quite cold. I enjoyed it in the cozy bar while looking out over the meadow. But when I got my check, I found out just how “grand” this hotel really was. I was charged 22 Swiss Francs (about $18 US) for this one drink! I couldn't believe it; I mean this hotel was not THAT good. I know, I should have found out the cost before I ordered it, but never did I dream that the drink would be that expensive. I, of course, questioned the cost, hoping that it was a mistake, but they showed me the menu, where this was indeed the cost. Ah, live and learn. But will I ever return to this hotel? Take a guess!

4. Yes, quaint little Interlaken has a McDonald’s, although I must admit that it’s one of the cutest ones I’ve ever seen.

5. And even worse, Interlaken has, are you ready for this, a Hooters. It looks so out of place sitting there, with the beautiful mountains rising up behind it, but there it is. Unbelievable!

And one more thing that I didn’t mention before. On my first night, while walking through Interlaken, I came upon a scene that just seemed so decidedly Swiss. An upscale hotel on the town’s main street had a huge glass floor-to-ceiling window right in the front overlooking the street. Behind it were several women swimming in a heated pool, and in front of them were two men, adorned in skimpy bathing suits, lying on lounge chairs facing the window as if trying to catch some rays. Never mind that it was evening and they were behind glass, they were still holding out hope!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi that is a beautiful picture of Florence at the top. Are you keeping this blog to advertise something? Your writing is very good ... Why don't you drop by my blog now: gledwood2.blogspot is the place to clickon. It's a very different blog, a personal secret diary online type of thing. And you're most welcome to drop by. I look forward very much to your visit. All the best now from

Gledwood

Carolyn Seefer said...

To my readers, please ignore this post from Gledwood. I have no idea who this person is; in fact, what you're seeing here is an example of "blog spam." It's rare, but it does happen. I would delete this message but I've chosen to not moderate comments. Anyway, just pretend his posting doesn't even exist!

Carolyn