Monday, March 12, 2007

Madre e Padre Arrive Safe and Sound!

I miei genitori sono arrivati (my parents have arrived)!

Their flight arrived right on time last Monday, much to their delight. You see, they have not flown since 9-11, so the fact that this long flight went so perfectly will surely mean that they'll get back on more planes in the future with no fears!

After classes were over on Monday, I walked right over to their hotel to meet them. How great it was to see them as we last saw each other in August. Even after such a long flight, they looked fantastic and were ready to start exploring. Our first stop? The Duomo, of course! There can be no more perfect introduction to Florence than this beautiful cathedral. My mom even suggested that we climb the dome. However, when I explained how many steps it was up to the roof (463), many of them very steep, she reconsidered. This was a smart idea given that they had been up for over 24 hours!

After exploring the interior of the Duomo, we headed toward my apartment. The first stop on the way was to visit Mario, the optician that I met a few weeks ago. He and my dad had so much to talk about, and my dad loved seeing his vintage camera collection. Of particular note was a Kodak Brownie camera that was given out as a souvenir at the 1933 World's Fair in Chicago. Even after his 30-year career with Eastman Kodak, my dad had only seen this camera in pictures, and suddenly here it was right in front of him. Unfortunately, Mario turned down his offer to buy it! Anyway, our visit with Mario was a joy, and Mario loved showing my parents the same pictures he showed me from World War II and from the 1966 flood. But our visit was cut short when a couple arrived for their eye exams and Mario had to return to work. What an amazing guy -- he's in his 80s and keeps his shop open every day of the week. It almost makes me wish I needed to get some new glasses!

After leaving Mario's, we then stopped at the Mercato Nuovo so that my parents could rub the nose of the famous bronze boar. After all, they'll definitely want to return to Florence one day!

Next stop: my home away from home. Even with jet lag, my parents made it up my 54 steps with no problem. They just loved it (of course, what else could they say, really?). The best part was walking some additional steps up to my rooftop terrace with its stunning views of the Florence monuments, where these wonderful photos were taken. Don't they look great?

While sitting up on the rooftop, enjoying the sunshine, the bells of the Badia Fiorentina, which you can see from my terrace, began to toll. I was suddenly reminded that the only day to see this beautiful church is Monday beginning at 3 p.m., and it was 3 p.m. on the dot, so off we went. The Badia, founded in 978, is one of the oldest churches in Florence. The hexagonal belltower, which you can see here, was built in 1330. Interestingly, the original belltower was destroyed in 1307 as punishment to the monks who had refused to pay their taxes, even slamming the church doors in the face of the official tax collector. Good for the monks!

The interior of the church itself is beautiful, filled with ancient frescoes. But the really special thing to see here is the Chiostro degli Aranci (the Orange Tree Cloister). An inner courtyard is surrounded by two levels of loggias. The walls of the upper loggia are decorated with a fresco entitled Scenes From the Life of St. Benedict, which was presumably done by Giovanni di Consalvo, although no one's completely sure. It also appears that whoever painted them died before they were completed. Two walls contained just the sketched outlines, which the artist never had the chance to fill in. Even they were stunning.

After viewing this beautiful church, it was time for an early dinner. Because most places don't open until 7 or 7:30, and my parents had been for too long for a dinner that late, we headed to my favorite little bar, Caffé le Logge, where I get my coffee every morning. They serve light fare all day, including pasta, sandwiches, and pizza. Our server, whom I've come to know over the past few weeks, treated my parents like royalty, and they thoroughly enjoyed their first meal in Italy.

After dinner, it was off to bed! Sogni dolci! (Sweet dreams!)

No comments: