Saturday, March 17, 2007

A Celebratory, Albeit Sad, Day

Well, my parents’ last day arrived, although we all kept hoping it would never get here. I had to teach during the day, so they spent it walking along the Arno and through the various narrow medieval streets, delighting at each turn.

I told my parents that they could choose anywhere they wanted for their last dinner, and they chose to return to Coquinarius, the wine bar near the Duomo. Bob and Janet and I had discovered this restaurant several weeks ago the day we returned from our trip to San Gimignano and Siena. It’s a rustic, cozy place with thick stone walls, brick ceilings, and a wine cellar. Best of all is the proprietor, a young man named Niccolò who goes out of his way to make his guests feel at home. This is a place I will return to again and again.

Once again, we thoroughly enjoyed our meal and wine. And we even ended the meal with dessert in a small pre-birthday celebration for me. My parents then walked me to my door, where we said goodbye. We were all a little misty, but we’ll always have our memories of this perfect week. I am so grateful that my parents were able to visit me in Florence. You two are the greatest!

No comments: