Tuesday, April 17, 2007

From DVC to Italy

The reason we had to leave Rome was to return home to get ready for the arrival of my colleagues from DVC. Charlie Shi, who teaches in my department and has his office right next door to mine, had arrived in Pisa the night before with his partner Tom. They were taking a train into Florence that afternoon, Friday, March 30. Laurie Lema, who teaches speech, and Kathleen Costa, who’s a counselor, were scheduled to arrive in Rome that afternoon and were then to take a train to Florence.

So Chip and I got back to my apartment mid-afternoon to get everything ready. We stopped on the way to pick up so appetizers to serve with aperitivo. On the menu were typical Tuscan treats: Tuscan salami, local Pecorino cheese, rosemary and olive oil crackers, and olives from a small market down the street; and a loaf of crusty bread from a small bakery. We also got a bottle of local wine (Chianti, of course!) and a bottle of prosecco (the Italian version of champagne). Lastly, we picked up some beautiful flowers from the flower shop right across the street from me to brighten up the place. We got everything laid out, got changed, started some music, and we were ready!

Charlie and Tom arrived first and I learned something new: that my door buzzer actually works! You see, although two of my colleagues and a few of my students had come by my apartment, they had always come in with me. Charlie and Tom were my first official company! It was so great to see them. They brought me a gorgeous bunch of tulips in the most amazing dark purple color, that I added to the other flowers, making a stunning spring arrangement.

Charlie caught me up on everything I had been missing in the Business Division at DVC, including the activities of the Business Club, which we both serve as faculty advisors for. Soon after Toni Fannin, another DVC and Florence study abroad faculty member, and her husband Dennis arrived. Dennis is a really funny guy who always makes me laugh with his unique sense of humor. He immediately asked for a tour of the apartment, saying he wanted to see how people on the other side of the Arno lived. As I was showing him around, he asked, “So, does this place have a bathroom?” I said, “Of course, we don’t have to go outside on this side of the river.” He responded, “Well, can I try it out?” (Aha, the real reason for wanting the tour!) Later, over aperitivo, he entertained us with stories about his visit to a torture museum. Hilarious!

Toni and Dennis had to return home, and the rest of us headed over to my favorite wine bar, Coquinarius, where we had 8:30 reservations for dinner. I should also mention that Laurie and Kathleen were running late as they had to wait for a train in Rome, but they soon joined us, in fact just as the bottle of wine arrived. Perfect timing! Niccolo, who runs Coquinarius, treated us very well. We feasted on crostini, pasta, salad, and bread, all complemented with excellent wine. It was so great to all be together on this evening in Florence. To my colleagues and friends!

No comments: