Saturday, January 27, 2007

This Is It!


Yes, this is really it! Tomorrow I will board a plane for a semester in Florence. After over a year of planning, it's hard to believe that this day has finally arrived.

And after all the socializing this week, Chip and I dedicated this weekend to each other. Last night we had dinner at one of our favorite restaurants, Albona. Albona is the only Istrian restaurant on the West coast, and one of the few in the entire country. Istrian food is really Italian with Austrian, Hungarian, Slavic, Spanish, French, Jewish, Greek, and Turkish influences, resulting in unique, delicious dishes. We've been going here for years. Even better than the food is Bruno, the owner, who is proud of his Istrian upbringing and, in his charming way, educates all of his guests about this special place in the world. He and his wonderful staff gave me a great send-off!

Today was extremely laid back. I actually had a short-term online class that ended yesterday, so I spent the morning calculating and inputting grades. Then Chip and I met at Union Square and went for a sushi lunch. (I doubt I'll get a lot of good sushi in Florence!) Then we just walked back to Macondray Lane slowly, enjoying the city. Tonight we're staying home, just to be alone. Our last evening will consist of ordering in Chinese, sitting by the fire, and watching a movie. I can't think of a more perfect evening.

Truthfully, it hasn't hit me yet that I'm actually leaving for three-and-a-half months. I don't know what tomorrow will be like. I can't imagine being apart from Chip for so long. Not only is he my husband, but he's my best friend. I'm going to miss you, sweetheart!

Well, I'm off to enjoy the evening. My next post will be from Florence. (It's unbelievable that I'm even able to write that!)

2 comments:

Sue said...

Hey Lady!

I've been thinking about you all day, even as Marialice, Baylee, Bob, Belle, and I slid through the mud during our morning walk in the open space. I hope your flight and arrival were smooth. I'll be checking in on you soon.

L,
Sue

Carolyn Seefer said...

Hey Sue!

Thanks for being the first to leave a comment on the blog. You made my day! Your walk sounds like an adventure. I miss you guys!

Love, Carolyn