Thursday, January 25, 2007

Happy Hours and Marvelous Meals

No one can say that I'm not properly fueled for my long plane ride to Italy! This week has been one of goodbyes and celebrations, all accompanied by good food and wine.

It started Monday with lunch at the Lark Creek Cafe with Pauline Witts and Richey Bologni. Pauline's grandson Ben and Richey's son John are DVC students who will be going to Florence. Pauline is an amazing women who knows Italy intimately and loves to help people make the most of their time there. Not only was she a guest speaker for our study abroad preparation class, but she has freely offered her services to the students and their friends and family, many of whom will be visiting during our time abroad. In addition, Pauline's daughter (Ben's aunt) runs a cooking school in Florence. I'll definitely be checking that out!

On Tuesday I spent some time at my sister-in-law Marialice Kern's house. She and her boyfriend Glenn (who, interestingly, is the father of one of my students at DVC) spoiled me with an excellent bottle of wine and some tasty appetizers. As I was leaving, they even told me that they're thinking of coming over for a visit while I'm there. (You two should definitely do it!) Next on the agenda was dinner with Chip's parents and his brother. My mother-in-law cooked a wonderful meal, and most of the conversation centered on our Germany plans. It's going to be quite a time!

Now, on to Wednesday, which started with our monthly faculty happy hour at the Left Bank. James O'Keefe started these happy hours last year as part of the DVC Restoration Project, and they've become something I look forward to every month. (Thanks, James, for planning this one before I left. We missed you!)
As if hanging out with my colleagues wasn't enough, at one point I glanced up as the front door opened, and in piled six DVC students, all members of the DVC Business Club, for which I serve as faculty advisor. For several weeks they've been planning to surprise me, and it definitely worked. They all chipped in for a bottle of wine (from Tuscany of course!) and a book about the foods and wines of Tuscany. I guess they know me well! I also hope they know that I will always treasure that moment when they walked through the door. Thanks, guys!

After happy hour I picked Chip up at the BART station, and we went over to Toni Fannin's for dinner. Toni is an amazing cook and served us a fabulous Italian meal. She will be bringing her six-year-old daughter and her father with her to Italy, so this gave us all a chance to get to know one another. Her father is a retired judge, and my lawyer husband really hit it off with him! (Thanks, Toni, for getting us all together!)

And the celebrations are not over yet...

No comments: