Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Lasts



Now that my departure to Italy is just a few days away, I find myself looking at things rather differently. It seems that I've been thinking in terms of "lasts" -- my last time on campus, my last time preparing a meal for my family, my last time eating at my favorite restaurant, and, yes, my last full weekend in the Bay Area.

But that final full weekend was fabulous. Chip and I had dinner last Friday night at our favorite restaurant in North Beach, Tommaso's. We've been coming here for over 16 years, and they really do make us feel like family. This is such a special, family-run restaurant that's been around since the 1930. In fact, it's home to the first wood-burning oven on the west coast! But I think my sister can describe it the best. This is from Susan Smith's book Journey Across America: Stories From the Road, which chronicles her family's one-year adventure in a trailer during which they visited all 50 states.

************************************************

Chapter 39: "We're With Her"

As we arrived at the restaurant [Tommaso's], we noticed a line coming out the door that looked like a one- to two-hour wait. I told Carolyn I didn't think the kids [four of them!] would make it two hours in line. Not to worry she assured me as she breezed to the front and was treated like a celebrity walking in the door. The owners came up to Carolyn, embracing her, and immediately finding a seat for our large group. It was one of those moments where the owners are clapping their hands to get the staff busy making sure things went smoothly for this visit. As we followed her in awe, we commented to the questioning folks waiting in line that we were with her.

Carolyn proceeded to order so much food that we were having trouble fitting all the dishes on the table. No wonder they loved her here. I am sure she contributed significantly to their bottom line. We had a feast and all wobbled home to the "Mac Pad," as they affectionately call their San Francisco home.

******************************************************

Well, perhaps she exaggerated a bit, but Tommaso's really is a special place, and our meal this last night was no exception. The best news is that the owners of Tommaso's have family members who own a restaurant and winery on Lake Como. You can bet that we'll be making a trip up there!

The weekend continued on Saturday with a half-day orientation for the study abroad students at the College of San Mateo. It went really smoothly, and I think a lot of parents' minds were put at ease. AIFS is extremely well-organized and a class act. It was also great seeing all of my students again after the holiday. After the orientation, the faculty, AIFS staff, and consortium members went out for a Mexican feast.

And then it was back home to see my husband and stepson Jake. This was the saddest "last" so far as Jake had to go back to his mom's house in Sacramento on Sunday and won't be back again before I leave for Italy. So we just hung around the house, watching playoff football and enjoying each other's company. But if you have to say goodbye, here's a great way to do it, "Bye, kiddo, I'll see you in Paris."

Yes, the next time I see Jake will be in Paris. He's been taking French for the past few years and will be spending his spring break in Paris with his French class. Chip and I will pick him up in Paris on his last day and then hop on a train for Heidelberg, Germany, where we'll meet Chip's dad and brother. It's then a three-generations-of-Seefer-men road trip across southern German, and I get to tag along for four of those days. You can bet that I'll be reporting on that trip!

No comments: