Thursday, May 03, 2007

Student Leaving Show

The students took their Italian finals on Wednesday, May 2, and that marked the official end of the semester. There was only one more thing left to do: the Student Leaving Show!

This is an AIFS tradition, a student talent show to mark the end of our time together. The AIFS staff members describe it best:

“Sunday 4 February, 2007, was the day when 170 students from Northern and Central California gathered together in Florence. Since that day several tons of pasta have been consumed along with gallons of Chianti. Film nights, cooking classes, Italian exchanges, US military exchanges, museums, galleries, swimming, hiking, muskrat spotting, fresco painting, daytrips, weekends away, and many other things that we don’t know about and don’t want to know about! All of these events have made the semester memorable and enjoyable for all involved. Tonight it’s time to celebrate the past three months as we gather for one last time…”

And gather we did, at Space Electronic, a discothèque just north of the school. I felt as if I were walking back into a 1970s’ nightmare when I entered the place—vinyl, mirror balls, neon, and a giant clown head. Huh?

Regardless of the interior design, the students were decked out for the event (well, most of them anyway!) There were gorgeous spring dresses, sequins, glitter, suits and ties, and fancy Italian shoes everywhere you looked. A perfect place to show off the results of those shopping sprees!

The show took place on the lower level, where we all sat on round orange vinyl cushions (I told you!). Large screens and television monitors were set up around the seats, all showing the AIFS logo and the symbol of Florence, the fleur-de-lys. Music was roaring out of the speakers (yes, many of it from the ‘70s) to get us pumped up.

And then Ged got up on stage, and the show began!

First on the ticket was Norma, AIFS staff member extraordinaire. She wanted to squelch those rumors about her and Ged and Fabrizio, two other AIFS staff, then and there. She did so by admitting that she was actually seeing both of them, and that she now had to make up her mind. She then broke into a wonderful rendition the Sarah Brightman song Make Up My Heart, complete with pictures of Ged and Fabrizio on the screen behind her. Hilarious! Near the end of her song, they naturally joined her on the stage. Boy, I wouldn’t want to have to make that decision if I were she. Good luck with that, Norma!

Angela was next with a poem she wrote about her experience in Florence. Let’s just say that I wish I had had this girl in some of my classes. What great fun she is!

Next was perhaps the most unique act: a poem called Cento written by Robert and Milli. Just what was this poem? Well, they delivered the numbers 1 through 100 to us. No, we couldn’t figure it out either! Some of the numbers were in English, some were in Italian, and some were written on cardboard, but they were all delivered with feeling. Leave it to Milli and Robert to make counting an art form!

Next, Sarah sang her rendition of the Neopolitan song Santa Lucia. That took guts – you go, girl!

The next act was a small “original music” group made up of Aaron, Gus, and Paul performing Bob Marley’s No Woman, No Cry. It ended up being a little impromptu as more and more people kept joining them, including two female vocalists (not sure what their names are) and a guy who felt the need to take off his shirt. Who is this guy, and whatever would compel him to remove his shirt in front of everyone?

George and Trevor got on stage next, even though they weren’t on the official program, to perform an Oasis song called Wonder Wall. Boy, did they have the audience going!

The last act before intermission was Zach, who sang an original song called I Love You (Ti Amo). He couldn’t be too serious here, so he took off his shirt before sitting down, but I must admit that the song was amazing and quite beautiful. I expect big things from this guy! Norma joined him on the stage to hold his music, and he seductively delivered some of his lyrics directed at her. Will she be adding a third name to her list?

It was time for intermission. Ged told us to watch the screens because we might just see ourselves. So watch the screens I did, and I soon realized that many of those pictures looked familiar. I was thinking to myself, “I took a picture just like that. Hey, that looks like one of the pictures I took. I KNOW I took that one!” Yes, it turned out that many of the pictures being shown had been taken from my blog. I went over to speak to Ged about royalties, and he offered to buy me a drink. Fair enough! Actually, I was flattered to see them up there.

The first act after intermission was John, another highly talented musician. He played guitar and sang a rap song by Dynamite Hack called Boys in the Hood. The crowd loved him! I predict a bright future for this one too!

Ben came up next to read a poem. This poem so inspired his girlfriend Julie that she couldn’t resist throwing a pair of red panties up on stage. I felt as if I were at a Tom Jones concert!

Angela returned to the stage next to sing the hauntingSarah MacLachlan ballad Angel, a song that had much of the crowd in tears. There were lighters and arm-swaying and hugs all around.

Next on the program was Geoff, who sang an Italian song by Kajiura Yuki entitled Canta Per Me. Very enjoyable!

And then was perhaps the highlight of the night, and it just happened to be the last act. Nick and Jason took the stage to deliver a short poem written by none other than Lorenzo de’Medici, a poem they had set to music. Let’s just say that Lorenzo was quite the party boy and loved to write suggestive, racy poems with which to entertain his friends. This poem, about a cucumber, was no exception. And to top it off, they found it in one of their required International Business books Medici Money. Oh, the things you learn in school! But it was such a hit that the crowd wanted more, and they delivered the poem two more times. I thought I would die laughing!

Once the students finished their performances, the AIFS staff took the stage to sing us a song about our experiences here and going back to California. Eventually karaoke words filled the screen so that we were able to sing along. Ged even donned a kilt for the occasion, which rumor has he lifted a little later. Just what’s under that thing, Ged?

After the sing-along, it was time to party. Dance music filled the room and the students got right down to it. I took a few more photos that show the joy and energy in that room far better than I could ever put into words.

But it was my cue to go. The rest of the night was for the students. I don’t know how late the party lasted, but I can say that they had earned it. I know that this is a night all of us will always remember.

No comments: