Sunday, May 13, 2007

Some Random Thoughts VII


1. Harry’s Bar. The very name conjures up images of expatriates, Bellinis, and hoards of artists and writers. Imagine my surprise when I learned that Florence has its own Harry’s Bar. I learned about it in the English-language newspaper The Florentine, which comes out every other week. This particular column recommends “Family Restaurants,” and the description for Harry’s read as follows: “Harry’s Bar is a very special place—an elegant American bar with an international crowd and a sophisticated menu.” I figured, though, since it was being touted as a family restaurant, that it would be affordable. So I headed over for lunch one day. And there I found on the menu a hamburger for 19 euros (approximately $25), not to mention the 5 euro coperto (cover charge) and the drink I would need to go along with it. Yikes! I walked right out and headed somewhere where I wouldn’t have to take out a loan to have a meal!

2. The first week I was in Florence, I spent a lot of time exploring the neighborhood. One day, on the other side of the Ponte Vecchio, I spotted a movie theatre on the other side of the street. I love a good movie, and this was the first theatre I had seen. So I dodged traffic to cross over to see what was playing. I guess I should have noticed that “X” on the sign out front, but I didn’t become aware of just what kind of theatre this was until I saw the billboard for the “film” that was showing. I glanced quickly around, hoping that some early arriving student wasn’t walking by at that moment (Ms. Seefer, what are YOU doing here?) and then I got the heck out of there!

3. I came upon this kebab shop near the San Lorenzo Market. Does the name of this kebab shop really tempt one to come inside? Think about it!

4. Billboards abound in Florence and other European cities, and often they contain subject matter that we just would never see in the United States. Take, for example, this one I spotted in Mittenwald, Germany.

5. Yes, Elvis is alive and well in Florence! I first spotted him on one of my treks to the Post Office to mail a package home. There he was, black pants, a black shirt covered with Elvis buttons, a pack of cigarettes peeking out of his pocket, large sunglasses, a black greased pompadour, a silk scarf around his neck, a big metal belt with chains, black boots, and a guitar case slung over his back. And here’s the kicker—he spoke Italian! I wanted so badly to take his picture, but it didn’t seem appropriate given the setting. But two days later, I spotted him walking right by my front door! I asked him if I could take his photo, and he agreed, giving me a big Elvis smile. And then, three days after that, I was attending the 155th anniversary celebration of the state police, being held in Piazza della Signoria. And who should I see in the crowd? You guessed it—Elvis!

6. And here she is, an English Bulldog hanging out in Florence! Maria is just three months old and absolutely adorable. Go Dawgs!
7. The first time (come to think of it, the only time) that Toni came to my apartment, we went right up to my rooftop terrace. I couldn’t wait to show off the views. Toni looked down over the Palazzo Vecchio and Piazza della Signoria and immediately said, “You’ve got a great view of Neptune’s butt.” So, here's the view from my terrace. Now let's zoom in a bit. You know, she’s got a point!

No comments: